8 Best Essential Oil for Allergies
Every season especially late winter, spring, or late summer or fall brings some seasonal allergies to the human body. It’s a very common problem that most people suffer from this throughout the year. The allergies can be of different types and have various natures. Besides, there are many variants in their symptoms also. Symptoms can be hay fever, runny nose, asthma, skin rashes, itchy and watery eyes. Insect, some specific food elements, spore, pollen may cause your allergy.
What is an essential oil?
Essential oil is one of the most popular home remedies for seasonal allergies. There are various types of essential oils for allergies in today’s market. The oils are concentrated with aromatic liquids which are distilled from plants. It contains a natural antihistamine, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antispasmodic substance. Besides, most of the oils are also contain antibacterial and antifungal properties. These oils can help you to reduce allergic symptoms like skin rashes, itching, burning, swelling.
Essential oil aromatherapy can give you relaxation in your body and mind. Besides, it can help you to clean up all the air passages of your body and makes you energetic. Sometimes allergies can reason for your restlessness, weakness, and insomnia. The essential oil may help you to give up the situation. It is too useful for an allergic body. You can use these oils during your seasonal allergy.
How to use essential oil?
Essential oils are used as a complementary treatment for allergic symptoms. It isn’t a permanent solution for your allergy but can give you some relief. It can be used in several techniques such as:
- Aromatherapy – Essential oils are well known for their calming fragrance. Directly breathing the scents of oil is known as aromatherapy. This exercise can stimulate your body cell through the sense of smell. It can affect other parts of your body includes the immune system.
- Inhalation – For better results throughout the day you can apply the oil directly to your palms or around the nose.
- Massage – Like aromatherapy, you can apply the oil directly to the body parts as they can enter the bloodstream. But it’s important that don’t use raw oil on directly your skin. It may harmful. You should always dilute before using it.
Sweet almond oil, olive oil are known as a carrier oil. These can be used for this purpose. Usually, you can take 1 ounce of carrier oil and mixed it with 5 drops of essential oil.
- DIY – You can make vapor, blends or can use the ointment, spray bottle solution of essential oil at home. It will help to avoid allergic reactions.
These techniques may give you some relief from the irritating allergic symptoms. If you do this regularly you may be benefited.
Is the essential oil need for your seasonal allergies?
Essential oil is too much useful during your allergic period. You can get relief and rid of allergies with the oil. There are many reasons for choosing an essential oil during an allergic reaction. The reasons can follow as,
1. Immunity Booster – Some essential oil works as an immunity booster in your body. During seasonal allergy you and your immune system become vulnerable. That’s why you may get weak. The essential oil can boost the immune system that helps you to get energetic and charming.
2. Hypersensitivity – Allergy can damage the immune system badly and may turn it unstable. When a normal balanced immune system becomes abnormal then hypersensitivity can occur in a human body. Some essential oils contain a proper substance that helps you to reduce the problem of hypersensitivity.
3. Antihistamine – Some essential oils are contained with antihistamine properties. These properties can target the stuffiness and helps to clear the airways of your body. Pollen, dust, or some insects can cause nasal congestion, sneezing, hives, and breathing problem. Antihistamine contains oil that can assist you to defeat the issues.
8 best essential oils for your seasonal allergies
There are several types of essential oils for allergies in today’s market. If you want to incorporate the oils in your life, then you can use the following items. Here are described 8 best essential oils for allergies.
1. Tea Tree Essential Oil
The oil is extracted from Melaleuca alternifolia tree. It helps to destroy airborne pathogens that may cause allergies. It contains antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties are worked for treating inflamed nostrils, swelling, and sinuses. Its antibacterial power helps to prevent bacterial and viral allergies.
Don’t use the tea tree essential oil around pets as it may be harmful. It helps to cure a cold and flu. For using take 2-3 drops of tea tree oil and blend it with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Now you can apply this mixture to any rash or hives.
2. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil comes from a mint family. It is a cross between watermint and spearmint. The oil can give a cooling effect on your body. This effect may give you relief from any irritation like swelling, skin rashes, and ashes.
If you are suffering from sinuses and sore throat, then you can inhale this oil. Besides, it also gives relief from cough, cold, and asthma. You can take five drops of peppermint oil to an essential diffuser for better use.
3. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil is the extract of lemon pieces. As a citrus element, it has an original citrusy smell. You can use it during sinus allergies. It helps to overcome allergic asthma, seasonal allergies, excess mucus, and inflammation pain.
The lemon essential oil can protect the lymphatic system. It will kill bacteria and allergy-causing elements from your surrounding air. You can use it by diffusing it in an essential oil diffuser.
4. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil is the extract of the Lavandula angustifolia plant. It has a sweet floral scent. It is very effective for sound sleep and inflammation. It helps to fight our immune system against mucous cells’ inflammation and enlargement.
Lavender oil can help to survive such skin allergies as itching, rash, puffiness, etc. You can use it by rubbing 1-2 drops of lavender oil on your palm and inhale it.
5. Sandalwood Essential Oil
Sandalwood essential oil is one of the best essential oil for allergies. It is the extract of the Santalum album’s wood and root. It has a woody floral smell. It comprises natural antihistamines. Sandalwood oil helps to increase the human body’s potential for fighting allergens and decrease the release of histamine. It is well known for its smell which helps to get sound sleep.
6. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
The oil is the extraction of eucalyptus leaves. It has a citrus and woody scent. It can improve blood circulation and helps to open your lungs. Besides, it can reduce allergic symptoms and produces a cooling sensation in your body.
It is good for seasonal allergies and prevents asthma attacks, sinuses, breaks up phlegm, mucus. You can take a little bit of peppermint oil, Syrian oregano, eucalyptus globules and mixed them. The mixture can reduce your allergic inflammation.
7. Chamomile Essential Oil
The oil has a sweet floral scent. It can effectively prevent allergies as it contains natural antihistamines and anti-inflammatory properties. Chamomile oil helps to get relief from itching and swelling caused by eczema. Besides, it can eliminate some allergic symptoms like sinusitis, mucous membranes, sore throat, dermatitis.
It is used after diluting with a carrier oil. As it contains antibiotic and antibacterial properties, it may assist you to fight against harmful bacteria.
8. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense Essential Oil is the extract of the Boswellia sacra tree. It has a sweet woody aroma. It is well known for its anti-inflammatory, anti-pinene, and antibacterial properties. It can ease bronchitis, sinusitis, and inflammation.
For better use take 5 drops of sandalwood oil, 10 drops of frankincense oil, and mixed it with 1/2 cup of warm water. After that gently rub this mixture on your rash and allergy-prone skin with a cotton ball.
Precautions while using an essential oil
Some precautions you have to take before using any kind of essential oil. Otherwise, it may be harmful. Such as,
- Some essential oil may not suitable for you. You can do a patch test before using it. It is an advanced precaution for your skin.
- If there is any serious allergic issue then consult with your doctor before using essential oil.
- Use a limited quantity of essential oil in your daily life like 1-2 drops. You should follow the instructions which are written on the packing box. Don’t use too much.
- Don’t use highly concentrated essential oil directly on the skin. It may give an opposite reaction to your body. Mix them with proper carrier oils like almond oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, etc.
- If you feel pain or itching after using essential oil then immediately was that part with cold water and soap. And don’t use the oil again. It may not be suitable for your skin.
- Some oils become toxic for your pet. So don’t use the essential oils near your pet. It may be harmful to them.
Allergies can be caused due to several issues and seasonal allergies are quite common for allergic people. But sometimes they turned into a serious problem. In that case, you have to consult with your physician.
To treat allergic reactions several essential oils are available in the market and can be helpful. You can make essential oil spray, mixture at home. But before using must check that the oil is suited for your skin or not.